Check out my rundown of the 2010 Senate races here

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

IL-05 Primary is Today

I'm going to take a brief hiatus from my usual coverage of the 2010 Senate races for the special primary election taking placing today for the House seat vacated by now-Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel in Illinois' 5th congressional district (I will do the same for the special elections in NY-20 and CA-32).

IL-05 is heavily Democratic, and whoever comes out as the Democratic nominee will likely win in the general election, which is taking place on April 7.

There are twelve Democrats vying for their party's nomination (the Chicago Tribune has a good rundown on all of them), while there are nearly two-dozen candidates running overall--combined from the Democratic, Republican, and Green Parties.

Polls close at 8 PM Eastern Time, and I'll report back here with the results later tonight.

For the record, my money is on state Rep. Sara Feigenholtz for the Democratic nomination (whom I'm sure you've all heard of...right?).

She has the backing of EMILY's List, the SEIU, and Rahm Emanuel's front lawn; she's the only major female candidate, which should help her out with women voters; she's the only Jewish candidate, which should help because there are a lot of Jews in the district; she's very liberal, which suits the district well; and she probably has the highest name recognition of all the candidates, as she has represented the area for a while.

But what do I know? Anything can happen when you have eleven candidates and low turnout.

No comments: